Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When Life Gets in the Way....


There are times when things get busy....really busy.  I'd love to say that there's always time to squeeze in 20 minutes of exercise (and there usually is) but there will be circumstances that make that nearly impossible.  My last month was a juggling act that consisted of product launches, lots of travel, a change of address, and my ever-energetic two year old.  While trying to find more hours in the day I realized that I regularly had to choose between getting just enough sleep to function, or getting some exercise.  Getting a bit of shut-eye won hands down.

So does it really matter if you can't train consistently or if you're forced to take a break by life's demands, injury, or some other equally pressing reason to hang up the runners?  In short, the answer is no.  Having a plan and sticking to it is definitely the best way to meet your fitness objectives, but given that none of us are pro-athletes there will be times when "the other stuff" is just more important than sticking to the program.  My first run in a couple of weeks was tonight and when I started out I felt like I was dragging three people behind me.  It started raining mid-way through which for some strange reason brought a smile to my face.  When I arrived home I was tired, soaked, and totally glad that I took advantage of the little bit of time that I had this evening to sneak in a run.  The last month certainly hasn't helped my fitness level, but sitting on the couch tonight lamenting the lost training opportunity wouldn't have either.  It doesn't matter if you run five times a week or can only sneak one out, get out there and enjoy it.  

Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment