Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Meet Andrea Lynn Sloan

We're definitely lucky to work in an industry with such an interesteing cast of characters, and Andrea Lynn Sloan is no exception.  I first met Andrea back in 2007 at a launch event when somone suggested that she and I shared a passion for endurance events.  Little did I know that I was about to have my socks blown off by her very nonchalant description of the types of events that she had participated in.  Fast forward about a year and I bumped into Andrea just after she had returned from one of the most ultra, of ultra-marathons across the Desert in Morocco.  Yes, Ladies and Gents, Andrea is a bonafied ULTRA-Marathoner and we're thrilled to have her as part of the Phonak/CanHEAR Uganda running team.....


Andrea on May 29th after a soggy Sulphur Springs Ultra-Marathon

Here's a little bit more about Andrea.......



Where do you live and train?

Hamilton ON is where I currently live but I train where ever I am. I am very lucky that there are amazing trails within 10-20 min drive from my home or a 20 min warm up run to the trail entrance, plus loads of urban style rail trails to run traffic free for more enjoyable run.

When and how did you get started with running?

I had seen an ad for a marathon on the Great Wall of China an thought that would be so cool so I signed up. At this point I had never ran before and thought I better learn how, so I took a 5k running clinic at my local Running Room and haven't stopped since (so be careful you beginners out there, you may be on the start to a new addiction!)

What has motivated you to go the “ultra-distance”

I wanted to see if I could, I want to find out where my limits are, still looking but having a blast while I do.


How often do you hear people say…”I don’t even like to drive that far”?

Pretty much every time I tell them that I am training for a 100 miler, the runner up is; "All in one day..?"


What are you listening to right now?

While running, I do not use an ipod during the summer months, I don't like using music when out on the trails but do need it for the winter running as I hate running in the cold. I seem to really love anything by Sam Roberts, its just seems to hit my snow pace just right.


Coolest event…why?

Marathon Des Sables, hands down. 6 days in the desert, carrying all your food and gear for the race. It was an amazing challenge. It was so wonderful to meet all the other runners from all over the world, many of whom I am still friends with and continue to meet at least once a year to run  a new challenge together. I pushed the limits farther than I had thought possible and it taught me I was being way too easy on myself, I needed to punch it up a notch or two (once my foot fracture healed, of course); that truly ANYTHING is possible, you just have to want it enough!


Least favourite event…why?

Hard to say, even if I didn't like the event, it would have taught me something, hmm, I tend not to like the very big road races where lots of very serious runners are out there, I am just out to run, have a good time and see if I can finish. If I am not smiling when I cross the finish line, then I have done something wrong!


How do you find the time?

Its just a part of me, I write in my training times/distance for the day as I would any other appointment and will also take the bus to work so that I can run home, that gets me about 15 k of nice, medium paced running when I do this. I am also lucky that my partner is fully supportive of my running and often will have a protein rich meal waiting for me after my long runs.


Best pre-run meal?

I pretty much eat anything but if I am travelling I bring instant oatmeal and some fruit so that if the race starts before the breakfast does I can always use the coffee maker to whip up breakfast


Advice for new runners……


Remember to have fun & train smart, you want to do this for a long time. And buy the book Fixing your Feet by John Vonhof, check out his blog/website for some great advice onfeet care


Anything else you’d like to share????

A few sayings about ultra runners:  

"Ultra runners are just fat, slow runners who have a high tolerance for boredom" (my personal favourite that is usually repeated to me by my fast Boston qualify road running friends)
"Its 90% mental and 10% training"
"Toenails, who needs 'em?"
Happy trails, may they be blister free!

Thanks Andrea, you're an inspriation!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment